With the combo of Korean Style Garlic-Chili Sauce and the fresh red chile, the dish was a little spicier than planned. The result: a spicy, yet tasty chicken and rice noodle stir fry which I like to call
Let's Go Baby Sweet and Spicy Chicken and Rice Noodle Stir Fry
4 Chicken Tenders cut into chunks
Rice Noodles (about 1/3 of a box, so I'll say about 4 ounces)
1 small onion, chipped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
Snow peas (about 1/2 a bag, so 4 ounces)
1/4 cabbage, thinly sliced
1 red chile, seeded, veined and thinly sliced into rounds
1 can mandarin oranges, drained but juice saved
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon garlic-chile sauce
1/2 lime, juiced
1. Follow directions for soaking rice noodles for stir fry. Mine said to soak for 30 minutes in hot tap water. So I did while chopping and cooking the rest of the ingredients.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet. When hot, but not smoking, add the onion, ginger and garlic. Stir fry for about 2 minutes or so, until the onion gets translucent, but before the garlic gets brown.
3. Add the chicken. Stir. Cook until lightly browned. Make sure you are stirring occasionally or the garlic will burn and be gross.
4. While the chicken cooks, mix about 1/4 cup of the mandarin orange juice, soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic-chile sauce and lime juice in a container for the sauce.
5. Check the noodles, they should be softened, but not too soft. Drain.
6. Once the chicken is no longer pink, and slightly browned (but not too browned or they will get dry), add the noodles, the sliced chile and the sauce. Stir fry until the noodles are mostly soft and have absorbed a lot of the sauce.
7. Add the snow peas and the cabbage. Cook until the peas are crisp-tender and the cabbage slightly wilted. Turn off the heat.
8. Add the mandarin oranges. Stir until slightly warmed.
9. Serve. Top with a little bit of cilantro. If you are pregnant or sensitive to spicy foods, eat with A LOT OF MILK. I drank 3 glasses with mine!
They say that spicy foods can induce labor. We'll see!