Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Second Week!



 Wow, two weeks already--We've had a busy week!

Weight: 7 pounds, 4 ounces
Height: 20 1/2 inches
Favorite activity: sleeping and eating
Favorite food: breast milk--obviously
Favorite spot: In her bouncer (with vibration on) and her swing (as well as just being held)
Naughtiest moment: Spitting up all over her pretty jacket the minute we set her in the car seat!
Important milestones: First food related gassy-ness (no more Italian sausage for me!), first trip outdoors (to the midwife and lunch at Alotta's Deli), first trip to the pediatrician (cried all the way there AND throughout her visit), first trip to the grocery store, oh and first bout of diaper rash :( Plus, she's learning to suck for comfort.
How Mom's Feeling: Definitely better this week. I'm not so worried about how much she's eating. After getting checked out by the midwife and the pediatrician, neither are worried about her weight gain. It's common for babies to lose up to 10% of their birth weight after they're born. So, while last week she was weighing in around 7 pounds, 1 ounce, this week she's weighing in at 7 pounds, 4 ounces! And clearly milk production is NOT a problem for me! Although, I think we need to buy stock in nursing pads--we go through them so fast!


I'm not as crazy emotional as I was last week. Mostly though, I've just been tired. 90% of the time I'm fine. It's that 10% when I'm just exhausted and Lorelei is crying and I can't calm her down and it's 2:30 in the morning that I just want to cry. And sometimes I do. Fortunately, this is when Brian is really able to step in and help. He has this amazing ability to calm her when I just can't. It's funny, because during the day when she's with me, she's fine. I'm able to feed her and soothe her when others can't. But at 3 am, when she's been fed and changed and is still wailing, I can pass her over to Brian and, it seems to me, within moments she's calm and sleeping on his chest. While this miffs a part of me--the overachieving part where I want to be able to do everything myself (perfectly. The first time.)--mostly it's a relief. Brian is able to bond with her and I get more sleep.


As for feeding and sleeping, we seem to have fallen into a routine that works pretty well. I'll feed her at night right before bed, change her diaper and put her in jammies and swaddle then pass her over to Brian. Brian will sleep with her until she wakes between 1:30 to 2:30 am when I change her and feed her (usually while reading my book. I've already finished book one of the Hunger Games and am halfway through book 2!). Then back to bed we'll go--usually between 3 and 4 am. If she's fussing, I'll pass her to Brian, otherwise, I'll cuddle her and we'll go back to sleep until sometime between 6 and 7 am when we'll change her diaper and feed again. Depending on the time and how tired I am, I'll either stay awake with her while checking the news on my phone in bed or I'll pass her to Brian and get another hour of sleep. Then she'll sleep awhile and usually feed every two hours or so until 11 when she starts her Big Nap (which usually lasts until 3 pm) Then we're back to feeding every two hours until bedtime.


So things are going pretty well over here, overall. We've had my mom and Brian's mom staying with us (not at the same time, of course) which has been amazingly helpful. Never has my floors, kitchen and bathroom been so clean! Plus, they both have been able to get in some substantial baby time! 


As always, we are completely in love with her--even with the screaming! The best aspect of her personality at this point is how easygoing she is. Lorelei is very easily soothed. Once we take care of what is bothering her, she settles down pretty quickly and, depending on how bright the room is, she'll even stay awake awhile for some cuddles and smiles! 


Here are a few pictures from this week:
What bedtime generally looks like now!
Napping with Poppy Jeff

Add caption

Chillaxing in the swing!
First time outside--eating lunch at Alotta's Deli!
First Trip to the Grocery Store!

No comments:

Post a Comment